Sunday 10 April 2016

Review: Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy


Title: Far from the Madding Crowd
Author: Thomas Hardy
Pages: 448
Publisher: Penguin



"Hardy's powerful novel of swift sexual passion and slow-burning loyalty centres on Bathsheba Everdene, a proud working woman whose life is complicated by three men - respectable farmer Boldwood, seductive Sergeant Troy and devoted Gabriel - making her the object of scandal and betrayal. 
Vividly portraying the supersitions and traditions of a small rural community, Far from the Madding Crowd shows the precarious position of a woman in a man's world" 

I read this novel in the beginning of February, and I should have written the reveiw in the middle of February. I never jotted down any of my thoughts on this novel, and although I remember really loving it, I can't recall exactly why. So I'm terribly sorry for this super short and shitty review, but I'll just write down what I do remember: 
- I love Hardy's writing style;
- I loved how I disliked Bathsheba - such an annoyingly naive character, yet well-crafted
- The ending was marvelous
- It took me a while to get through, because the beginning takes forever, which is probably why I rated it four stars, rather than five. 



No comments:

Post a Comment